Thursday 21 January 2016

I’m a Singaporean Malay – and a proud one too

Time and again, we hear about the so called privileges/advantages/upper hand that those who fall in the majority race in Singapore have over the minority races. Heck, being labelled part of the “minority” race itself must feel a tad degrading to some, given the term – no matter how factual it actually is.
Being Malay myself, I’ve overheard the not-so-silent whispers from my folks, relatives and fellow Malay peers about not giving something a shot because we won’t be able to attain it due to the “colour of our skin”. Sometimes, not being part of the majority race is the reason cited for us not achieving or acquiring a certain result or desired outcome.
“Don’t bother trying for the scholarship la. Surely, a Chinese student will get it instead.”
“Why bother signing on for to the army? Confirm won’t get. They see skin one, you don’t know ah?”
“Don’t apply for job in that company – they only want their people.”
When I was younger (and more naïve), I believed every word that was said and to a certain extent, bore a grudge towards those from the majority race. However, as I grew older, I learned and began to understand that my goals can be attained, regardless of the colour of my skin. How? Through sheer effort and determination and making use of the opportunities presented in front of me. Opportunities placed fairly and openly in front of everyone and anyone who wanted to work hard enough to seize them.
I was able to study the Malay language, my mother tongue, throughout my academic years – which I excelled greatly in because I took pride in learning, using and speaking it.
I graduated from university – something that was sadly, still deemed an unattainable task among my own people back then.
I trudged through over a year’s worth of job applications, interviews, rejections and temporary jobs before getting fully-employed. Often, those around me blamed my state of unemployment on the “Must be effectively bilingual in Mandarin” requirement or cited that these companies would only hire “their own people”. But I believed that the right job was out there for me and I needed to hustle a tad more to get there. The end result will always taste sweeter after a tougher fight.
I purchased a flat with my partner – where, to my pleasant surprise, my race boosted our chances of securing a unit due to the Ethnic Integration Policy put in place by the authorities many years ago.
I encouraged my younger sister to work hard and aim for the scholarship award, which she successfully attained, to our family’s delight.
 
Long story short – one’s place in society and in life in general, depends much on one’s desire to get out there and get it. It is not dependent on the colour of your skin or which segment of the community you come from. In a place such as Singapore, where individuals of various races and backgrounds eat, work, play and live together, there are many opportunities for all to seize. You just got to make a run for it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post